Saturday 24 March 2007

Xiamen - Dong Zhai Shan (东宅山)


Didn't get out as early as I wanted but was up on the hill after a late breakfast/early lunch by 12. The development there is as busy as ever. More building. Still seems strange to develop quite such a large road across what must have been a pretty inaccessible hill. Good to see many people out walking though. I took the first small path off the road as I could. It had already started to rain a little so people were looking at me even more oddly than normal - crazy lao wai with no umbrella. The path climbed up quickly and as with my previous walk to Dong Ping Shan (东坪山) it was neatly laid using granite slaps. Not good for wheelchairs but made walking pretty quick, who needs steps classes. There must be a good several km of paths here. I took the loop back round toward the uni and where I knew the road headed.

Taking a small path I found a beautiful plateau formed from solid rock that looked out over LongHu Shan Road. It wonderful but also a shame to see how close the buildings are too the hill. Just think 5 years ago you probably couldn't have seen anything. The path way has been planted with lots of new trees & climbers so in 2-3 years it should become much more enclosed which will be more to my liking, none the less it is a very tranquil area with a good mix of plants and animals/birds.

The path took me passed a triffid tree that had almost completely encased a giant rock. Beautiful.

Back on the road managed to get a good soaking, then was told I needed to buy a ticket to go any further, so I decided to take a little path I had just seen only to find this took me to the top of the hill anyway. Yet another case of the Chinese trying to charge for parkland that is not enclosed. The rain by now was full on so I holed up in an old army bunker for 1/2 hour and then took the first opportunity to get back to HQ.

Back at HQ it was nose to the grind stone. More characters. I will succeed one (I hope).

No comments: