Wednesday 7 March 2007

Xiamen Uni Test

Up bright and early. Wash, brush and the usual morning tea. Using up some rather nice Tie Guan Yin that Wan Ling wanted to throw away as it was last springs!

More farcisical mucking around at uni as when I arrived the lady that had said she would help then redirected me to another building, which in turn said that I should immediately go to the 'openning ceramony'. Still not registered, so more time to dwell on whether I am in the right place. After the 'ceramony', I tried again to register but was told that I should go directly for the test. Caught up with Matra & another girl that I met previously. In the test room we were 20+ to 2 teachers so was sloooow but got chatting to An Ya from Slovakia. Interestingly it was easier to speak Chinese than English. Could be the way of the future?

The Japanese girl before me was impressive. Both her spoken Chinese and reading was very much up to scratch. When I finally stepped up, as no one else was, I chatted with the teacher for sometime before she asked to read the sheet in front on me. Well let's say that bit was over quickly! Based on the fact that I know less than a hundred characters, probably not even that now, and the uni's lesson are all in Han Zi (Chinese Characters) I am in the beginners classes for everything. Bug*er.

That set my mood. Not such a happy bunny. Returning to registeration, I finally received my ID card - whooopieeee, but then had to queue again to hand in the papers concerning why I wasn't living at the uni who then told me that I needed extra copies of everything. You would think that this could easily be put in a single welcome pack. Organised is not a word I would say is too common here. Any way I survived.

To get back in a positive mood I decided to go for a walk. Headed round the park next to Nan Pu tuo temple. Very relaxing. Thought about going into the temple but after the previous weeks trips I was templed out. Decided to explore the back of the uni. Heading up hill I found some small paths leading up past what I assume are the teachers residents. I noticed in one of the hedges some pathways so ducked into the hedge and climbed up. Very peaceful, lovely little single person paths that cut through the trees. Coming to a clearing by a pylon I had a wondeful view of the capus and the surrounding hills. Damp hung in the air around, the air was fresh and clean - ahhhh. Following the path further up, I came across what I assuming was a stage or a temporary card table. Seemed like the locals like this spot too. My little path joined a purpose laid track which lead to a tea house! Asking way they were there, they looked at me olddly and replied that it was part of the temple. Yet another care of China's interest use of gate fees. I also discovered this was the entry point to the gardens. Not wanting to go either I took the next small track that I though should take me towards home. Wrong! After bending and twisting along the path getting increasingly wet, it was obvious I wasn't going toward home. There was good points on the path which needed a bit of jumping, ducking and swinging. Great fun. Found my way eventually back at the side of the temple so ended up using there paths to get back to uni! Great walk which definitely re-set my not such mood. Looking forward to more of the same!

No comments: